Revenue and Receivables oversees the distribution of both payroll and accounts payable checks. Checks are available for pickup Monday through Thursday, from 9am until 5pm, and Friday, from 9:30am to 5pm, excluding holidays. The official Payroll Check Distribution policy document can be accessed via Office of the CFO document FA 133.
The default method for delivery of pay to all Georgetown University employees, including students, is via paper check. However, if an employee establishes a valid direct deposit profile in GMS, Georgetown will deliver pay via direct deposit.
Georgetown strongly encourages all employees to sign up for direct deposit. It is the quickest and most convenient way to receive pay: Employees do not need to be present on payday or visit the bank. (This can be particularly important on days that employees are sick, or that the university is closed due to inclement weather.) Information on how to set up direct deposit can be found at:
https://ocfo.georgetown.edu/payroll/direct-deposit (update link to OCFO)
Entry of a direct deposit profile in GMS does not take effect for delivery of pay immediately. From the entry of a direct deposit profile in GMS by the employee, it can take between two (2) and five (5) business days for the profile to be effective as the delivery method for pay. It is also important to note that the direct deposit profile must be effective at the time the payroll is processed, which is up to one week before the designated pay date. Inquiries regarding the status of a direct deposit profile, and whether it has taken effect for a particular pay period, should be delivered to Payroll Services at email@example.com.
If a Georgetown employee does not have a valid direct deposit profile in effect at the time of payroll processing, pay will be delivered via paper check. The default method of delivery for paper checks is via US Mail. The default action for any employee who is paid by paper check is to mail the check to the home address as defined in GMS. The employee will have the option to either:
- opt-in to on-campus pick-up of the paper check (by applying the “payroll form” usage tag to his/her work address in GMS)
- define an alternative address for the paycheck to be mailed to (by creating an alternate address in GMS, and then applying the “payroll form” usage tag to it)
The primary person responsible for on-campus pick-up of the paper check is the employee.
- Departments, through their timekeepers, can choose to make arrangements to pick up checks on employees’ behalf.
- The employee or the timekeeper can designate another person to pick up the paycheck by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org, from their Georgetown email address, each pay period.
For individuals who have elected on-campus pick-up of their checks, paychecks will be available for pick-up in the lower level of White Gravenor hall at 3:00PM on the day before the pay date. Any person picking up a check must show Georgetown or government ID. This includes the payee. Individuals picking up more than one check must sign for every check they pick up.
Paychecks delivered by mail are placed in the mail two business days before the pay date. USPS delivery standards for first-class mail are two business days from Washington DC to anywhere in DC, MD, VA, DE, and most locations in PA and NJ. Delivery standards are three business days to anywhere else in the continental US.
Accounts Payable Checks
- When an Accounts Payable check is coded as ‘Pick-Up’ and is delivered to White Gravenor Hall, an email will be sent to the address provided
- Anyone collecting an Accounts Payable check must bring a valid photo ID and sign for the check