Accounts Payable Processes
This process relates to the procurement of goods and services following the Contracts Policy and procurement and contracts process. It begins with a requisition and once approved, must be sourced to a Purchase Order.
The purchase order must then be sent to the supplier who must ensure that the purchases order number is included on on the related invoice, once goods and or services are delivered.
Suppliers must email their invoices to email@example.com.
Capital projects invoices and payment applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
This process is for the purchase of goods or service <= $500 from a single supplier, where the annual cumulative spend does not exceed $1,000.
If spend for a supplier is expected to exceed $1,000 per year, a purchase order must be created by following the procurement process
Small dollar invoices are processed used the Small Invoice Transmittal Form (SITF). and emailed to A/P using one of the following email address (select based on your campus location)
This is the procurement of goods through an established list of supplier catalogs. The catalog can be accessed directly in GMS. The following link provides instructions on how to complete the punchout process.
Below is a list of our current punchout suppliers available:
- Fisher Scientific
These are the payments for expenses unrelated to procurement. They include but are not limited to the following expense categories:
- Non staff expense reimbursement
- Non employee honorarium
- Prizes and awards
- Non Service Stipend (USA & International)
- Petty Cash replenishment
- Legal Services/ Settlement
- Membership dues
- Event Officials
- Library Refunds
Request for payment must be submitted using the Miscellaneous Payment Request (MPREQ) process in GMS.
Accounts Payable provides several payment options for our suppliers.
These are payments generated in house and should only be selected in the following instances.
- Checks requiring special handling. Such as FedEx or to be picked up for further distribution
- Attachments or remittance advice are required to accompany the check
- International payments
These are payments distributed by GU’s payment partner “ViewPost”. Disbursement will be one of the following formats
- Paper Check. Viewpost prints and mails the check the next business day to the supplier.
- E-checks or ACH Plus
- Virtual Credit Card (generally for business entities)
For Frequently Asked Questions, please visit our FAQ Sheet
Georgetown University has partnered with Flywire to expedite international wire payments. International suppliers, regardless of amount and foreign currency, are now eligible to receive payment via wire transfer.
Effective March 16, 2021, the GMS wire questionnaire and wire form will no longer be required. A valid email address must be on file for international suppliers that wish to receive payments via wire transfer. Those without an email address will be paid via check.
- When using either the REQ/PO or MPREQ process to submit a payment request, if the supplier is required to be paid in a specific foreign currency, that currency must be selected in GMS.
- Purchase Orders must be created in the currency that payment will be made.
- Reach out to email@example.com if you are unable to select the desired currency when creating your REQ or MPREQ.
- PO related invoices must be fully receipted before a wire can be initiated.
- The use of Oanda to calculate the US dollar equivalent of a foreign currency is no longer required.
- An email address is required for all international suppliers to be paid via wire. If your supplier does not have an email on file or you wish to change their payment type from check to wire, the Supplier Request Form should be used.
- If no foreign currency is selected, the payments to international suppliers will be processed in USD via GMS, but the supplier will still have the opportunity to receive payment in a foreign currency of its choosing via Flywire. However, once payment is processed in USD via GMS, Georgetown cannot guarantee receipt of a specific amount in a foreign currency – the amount paid to the supplier will be based on the exchange rate Flywire offers for that currency.
If you believe that your international supplier may not have a current email address on file with Georgetown, please contact the Accounts Payable team at firstname.lastname@example.org.Wire transfers for domestic suppliers will continue to be limited to a select group of suppliers. All other domestic suppliers must register with our payment partner ViewPost to receive their payment via direct deposit.
Accounts Payable provides additional services to the university community. For assistance with any of the following, please contact us.
- Payment Settlement and disbursement
- Monitoring vendor statements
- Researching and resolving returned checks & ACH
- Processing credit invoices
- Maintaining permanent records of supporting documentation for payments
- Check Voids and reissues
- Proof of Payment
- Providing assistance and direction to departments in settling disputes with vendors
- Ensuring supporting documentation exists prior to authorizing the release of checks to vendors
- Providing follow-up services on outstanding payments and resolving problems which may arise
- Canceling and or reissuing supplier payments