Accounts Payable Processes
This process relates to the procurement of goods and services following the Contracts Policy and procurement and contracts process. It begins with a requisition and once approved, must be sourced to a Purchase Order.
The purchase order must then be sent to the supplier who must ensure that the purchases order number is included on on the related invoice, once goods and or services are delivered.
Suppliers must email their invoices to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital projects invoices and payment applications must be emailed to email@example.com
The purchase of goods or service <= $500 from a single supplier, where the annual cumulative spend does not exceed $1,000, should be submitted using the Miscellaneous Payment Request (MPREQ) process in GMS.
If spend for a supplier is expected to exceed $1,000 per year, a purchase order must be created by following the procurement process
This is the procurement of goods through an established list of supplier catalogs. The catalog can be accessed directly in GMS. The following link provides instructions on how to complete the punchout process.
Below is a list of our current punchout suppliers available:
- Fisher Scientific
These are the payments for expenses unrelated to procurement. They include but are not limited to the following expense categories:
- Non staff expense reimbursement
- Non employee honorarium
- Prizes and awards
- Non Service Stipend (USA & International)
- Petty Cash replenishment
- Legal Services/ Settlement
- Membership dues
- Event Officials
- Library Refunds
Request for payment must be submitted using the Miscellaneous Payment Request (MPREQ) process in GMS.
From time-to-time, suppliers will not have received a payment issued by Georgetown, and Accounts Payable will need to reissue the payment. The following process should be followed:
- The supplier or GU departmental contact provides info about the payment to be reviewed for reissue, either via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via Google Form. We ask requests include the following information:
- Supplier name
- Supplier ID (SUP-#######, if known)
- Payment amount
- Payment date (if known)
- Invoice number(s) (if known)
- Accounts Payable analysts will research the payment and provide additional information required about the payments, and if at all possible, will email back the requestor (and the supplier, if different) regarding the preliminary determination, whether and what additional information is needed, and when to expect action.
- On a weekly basis, typically on Thursday mornings, the Accounts Payable management team will review all payment reissue requests, and:
- Assure that all requests have been addressed and dispensed
- Make manager-level decisions deferred by analysts, and contact supplier/contact/requestor
- Reissue payments that need to be reissued
NOTE: General policy is that paper checks will not be reissued unless they have been outstanding for 30 days. Managers may approve exception to policy due to extenuating circumstances.
Accounts Payable provides several payment options for our suppliers.
This is Georgetown University’s preferred method of paying suppliers, and is often suppliers’ preferred method of being paid. Features of this payment method include:
- Georgetown initiates ACH payments on a daily basis, assuring all invoices approved the prior business day (and due to be paid) are paid within one day of approval.
- Payment is delivered directly to the supplier’s bank account, typically 1-2 business days after Georgetown initiates the payment.
- Remittance information (the supplier’s invoice number) is provided via addenda records, which suppliers can access if they have corporate/enterprise reporting.
- Only available for US-based accounts.
- Suppliers can change their banking information at any time via the Supplier Record Management Portal
These are payments generated in-house and are only generated once per week, on Thursdays. This payment method should only be selected in the following instances:
- Checks requiring special handling. Such as FedEx or to be picked up for further distribution
- Special attachments or remittance advice are required to accompany the check
- International payments
These are paper check payments distributed by GU’s payment partner “ViewPost”. This is Georgetown’s default payment method when:
- The supplier has not provided any banking information.
- The suppliers address is a US address.
These payments are initiated on a daily basis, assuring all invoices approved the prior business day (and due to be paid) are paid within one day of approval. ViewPost then prints and mails these checks on a daily basis. First class mail is supposed to reach its destination within 1-5 business days, depending on distance from the location where the mail is sent.
Please visit the International Wire Transfers page to learn how to pay international suppliers using wire transfers.
Accounts Payable provides additional services to the university community. For assistance with any of the following, please contact us.
- Payment Settlement and disbursement
- Monitoring vendor statements
- Researching and resolving returned checks & ACH
- Processing credit invoices
- Maintaining permanent records of supporting documentation for payments
- Check Voids and reissues
- Proof of Payment
- Providing assistance and direction to departments in settling disputes with vendors
- Ensuring supporting documentation exists prior to authorizing the release of checks to vendors
- Providing follow-up services on outstanding payments and resolving problems which may arise
- Canceling and or reissuing supplier payments