How can we assist you?
|Non-US Tax||Resources for non-US citizens|
|Tax Documents||Federal, DC, & state sales tax exemption certificates|
|Payment Types||Stipends, awards/prizes, honoraria, donations|
|Sales Tax||Process for collection and documentation of sales taxes|
|Employee vs. Independent Contractor||Worker classification rules – is this an employee or an independent contractor?|
|Unrelated Business Income (UBI) & Private Business Use (PBU)||What is UBI? How are RGAs analyzed for UBI and PBU?|
|Tax Policies||Expense reimbursements, donations, employee fringe benefits, gifts, cash payments, housing, student employee FICA|
- Before services are performed by non-US suppliers, the suppliers must have completed the Glacier registration process. Non-US suppliers cannot be paid if they are not registered in Glacier.
- The Tax Department cannot provide personal income tax advice to students or employees, including how to prepare personal income tax returns.
- For W-2 questions, contact the Payroll Department at (email@example.com).
- For 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC questions, contact the Accounts Payable Department (Expense Management) at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Tax Department no longer oversees 1099 production.
- For supplier account questions, contact the Accounts Payable Department (Expense Management) at email@example.com. The Tax Department no longer oversees supplier registrations.
- For 1098-T questions, contact the Office of Billing and Payment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mission of the Tax Department is to guide the University in matters of international, federal, state and local taxation. The Tax Department creates and monitors policies and procedures for tax law compliance and the protection of the University’s tax exempt status.
We are responsible for:
- Researching international, federal, state and local tax compliance for the University;
- The University’s federal, state and local tax returns;
- Unrelated Business Income (UBI) monitoring and reporting;
- Tax Exempt Bond Private Business Use (PBU) monitoring and reporting;
- Worker classification determinations;
- Nonresident Alien (NRA) tax withholding
Address (for mail only): 2115 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20007
*Do NOT send emails to multiple tax email addresses. Doing so will significantly delay response times. Only email ONE address below and do NOT email or cc individual members of the Tax Department.
- Non-resident tax questions ONLY: NRAtax@georgetown.edu
- General tax department inquiries: email@example.com
- John C. Kotwicki, CPA, Associate Vice President for Tax & Special Assistant to the CFO
- Ilyssa Peters, CPA, Senior Director of Tax Research, Planning and Compliance
- Lawrence H. Smith, Senior Tax Accountant
- Christian Maurel, State & Local Tax Accountant