Expense Management Announcements
International Wire Payment Changes (3-16-2021)
Georgetown University has partnered with Flywire to expedite international wire payments. International suppliers, regardless of amount and foreign currency, are now eligible to receive payment via wire transfer.
Effective March 16, 2021, the GMS wire questionnaire and wire form will no longer be required. A valid email address must be on file for international suppliers that wish to receive payments via wire transfer. Those without an email address will be paid via check.
- When using either the REQ/PO or MPREQ process to submit a payment request, if the supplier is required to be paid in a specific foreign currency, that currency must be selected in GMS.
- Purchase Orders must be created in the currency that payment will be made.
- Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to select the desired currency when creating your REQ or MPREQ.
- PO related invoices must be fully receipted before a wire can be initiated.
- The use of Oanda to calculate the US dollar equivalent of a foreign currency is no longer required.
- An email address is required for all international suppliers to be paid via wire. If your supplier does not have an email on file or you wish to change their payment type from check to wire, the Supplier Request Form should be used.
- If no foreign currency is selected, the payments to international suppliers will be processed in USD via GMS, but the supplier will still have the opportunity to receive payment in a foreign currency of its choosing via Flywire. However, once payment is processed in USD via GMS, Georgetown cannot guarantee receipt of a specific amount in a foreign currency – the amount paid to the supplier will be based on the exchange rate Flywire offers for that currency.
If you believe that your international supplier may not have a current email address on file with Georgetown, please contact the Accounts Payable team at email@example.com.
Wire transfers for domestic suppliers will continue to be limited to a select group of suppliers. All other domestic suppliers must register with our payment partner ViewPost to receive their payment via direct deposit.
For more information, visit our Frequently Asked Questions document by clicking here.